RAID Performance with Oracle

Paul paul at kbs.net.au
Mon Mar 24 00:10:00 CST 2003

Hey All,

I am helping someone out with quite an intensive database with a lot of
writes (and reads).  They have Oracle 9i on SuSe SLE8 and using RAID 5 (PowerEdge2600 with Perc4di).
It appears it is taking time to write to the disks.  In this case it is
not feasable right away to switch it from RAID 5 to RAID 1+0 or 0+1 or
similar.  Does the Perc4Di support RAID 1+0 arrays?

I appears that it may be taking up to 8 seconds to write to the Redo log
files.

Is there anything I can do to optimize the database for RAID 5 use?

Any idea's or advice would be greatly appreciated