3c90x.o woes

Michael Weber mweber at alliednational.com
Wed Mar 19 15:13:01 CST 2003

Thanx, Jason.

>>> jason andrade <jason at rtfmconsult.com> 03/19/03 02:20PM >>>
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Adam Williams wrote:

> > What kernel and version of 3c59x are you using?  I've used 2 3c905
NIC's
> > in servers for years.

> what adam said.  i have 2 3c509s in a dell 2450 right now with no
issues.

I have in the past run multiple NIC's also, but mainly of the Intel
ilk.

> my first guess is to again check the values in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX
> very carefully.  i've created problems for myself in the past with
typos there.

If I change only the DEVICE= line and the name of the script, the
problems remain with the first NIC in the PCI chain.  If I pull the
second NIC, everything works.

> have you also tried two different 3c905s than the original two you
have in
> case it is a hardware problem of some kind with those two nics ?

Yup.  Swapped PCI slots first, then NIC's.  Swapped cables, too.  The
problem definately follows the first NIC to be seen.