PE 2650, ERA, OMSA and serial console problem

Joshua_Giles@Dell.com Joshua_Giles at Dell.com
Wed Mar 19 09:33:01 CST 2003

7.3?  8.0?
I've seen problems with 7.3 based systems, but 8.0 and beyond should work.
On 7.3 the problem seems to manifest itself when the OS is loaded with the
racser driver enabled.  If the machine is started without racser, you
should'nt see this problem.  Once you load the racser driver it seems to
stop the serial console login from working.  For 7.3 try removing the racser
service `chkconfig racser off`.

Read ya,

Joshua Giles

-----Original Message-----
From: Mondragon, Marc [mailto:Marcmo at foxriver.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 8:31 AM
To: linux-poweredge at exchange.dell.com
Subject: PE 2650, ERA, OMSA and serial console problem

All-

I've got a strange issue that I'm not sure is a real problem or a problem
with my configuration.

I've set up all of my 2650's to use console redirection to a Cyclades
terminal server which has worked great.  I followed the instructions
verbatim from the Serial Console HOWTO and everything worked as planned.  I
had planned on enabling the ERA and OMSA components but when I do, I lose
the ability to login into my servers via the Cyclades Terminal Server.  I'm
able to connect to the port and see the login prompt but I'm not able to
login.  If I turn off the RAC/OMSA software I can login in again -- this is
driving me nuts!  Has anyone heard of something like this?

My servers are generally within a rev of the latest RH kernel errata and
I've updated the ERA bios to the latest and I'm using the latest version of
OMSA.  Any help/ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc Mondragon

Ritchie Capital Investments, Ltd.
2100 Enterprise Avenue
Geneva, IL  60134
(630) 482-5141

This email and any attachments are confidential and may be legally
privileged.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any
transmission in error.  If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any use, printing, copying or disclosure is strictly
prohibited.  Please delete this email and any attachments, without printing,
copying, forwarding or saving them and notify the sender immediately by
reply e-mail.  The company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through its networks.  Unless otherwise stated, any financial
results or price data contained in this email are indicative only and are
subject to change without notice.