2X PE6650 w/1X cx200 (with brocadeinbetween) - RHAS, in Oracle RAC solution

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Tue Mar 18 17:21:01 CST 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Christoffer Krzywinski wrote:

Hi Chris,

> Someone ever tried this out?  Anyone ever got it working?

I haven't tried it but a friend of mine recently got that as a specification
for a back end database system for oracle RAC.

> Is it the bundled RHAS cluster sw (?) or OCFS that is handling the
> logistics when two servers sharing the SAN?

it's an interesting question - till now i have assumed that to get
an oracle RAC certified cluster you have to buy something that
_oracle_ certifies, not Dell or RedHat.  so it'd be good to know exactly
how the clustering is achieved.  i didn't get a chance to look at all
the details of my friends system so i don't know how the clustering and
failover is handled.

> ..the whole thing seems very 'flaky'

in what way ?  as compared to a solution with 2servers/2cx200/2brocades ?

or by using cx400s instead ?

is there some specific flakiness you can point at, e.g servers falling
over, your application being unhappy or storage issues ? failover not
working well ?

> Is the cx200 tested in this config - anyone knows?

don't know but i am not sure what difference there will be from the cx400
or bigger brethen except for scaling/performance.  it all seems to be in
the same family in terms of the base redundancy stuff you need to meet
storage reliability requirements.

> .. Got qlogic 2340 cards .. Are they too fresh??

don't think so - IIRC other people previously have indicated they are
using these cards.  did you download the latest qlogic drivers for
them ?  someone at dell made a point of saying that 6.04 (i think)
should be used rather than 6.02 or older.

regards,

-jason