Dell PE1550 and Solaris

Aly Dharshi aly.dharshi at uleth.ca
Fri Mar 14 10:19:00 CST 2003

Hello,

	Why would you want to exert yourself to lots of pain with Solaris 9, I
work with that OS on a daily basis, its a painful OS ! Imagine what
happens to approx 230 students on a daily basis using CDE and Emacs to
do assignments and CS stuff, painful ! There are better tools and
friendlier OS's out there, enter Linux.

	I think that NFS under linux is very stable and reliable. I think that
its also very simple to setup. It also supports automounting so its got
all the features of Solaris that you would need. I also think that the
NFS code is partial public and the open source crowd is taking advantage
of this.

	But from what I understand Sun also has their own Linux 5.0 based on RH
software, besides the point, I think that Dell hardware is generic
enough for you slap on Sol9 X86 and run it. Linux especially RH can
scale very well under load in all aspects, I would suggest you give RH
7.3/8.0 a shot before you go to Sol9 and know for yourself if those
reports are true.

	If I am wrong someone please correct me !

	Cheers,

	Aly.