Dell OpenManage Array Manager Problem

Michael Weber mweber at alliednational.com
Wed Mar 12 08:31:01 CST 2003

Any idea when Dell will support Linux at this level?  What I am totally
desperate for is the ability to detect when a drive is going flaky.
Right now, all I have is a swatch scanner looking at /var/log/messages
for scsi timeouts, and filtering out any that are not tape drive
related.  Totally kludged, but it keeps my company in business.

<flame>
Without an snmp monitor, the next dozen servers my company buys will be
Compaq, I assure you.  They fully support hardware monitoring under
Linux.

What makes me really angry is that the Dell rep. was asked this
question specifically and he told us that Linux AS 2.1 would support
snmp monitoring for hard drive and other kinds of hardware failures.
We've had our machines for well over a year and are still waiting for
this feature.
</flame>

Please pardon the vent.  My company had a server go down for nearly 72
hours and the only reason we could not find the problem quickly was the
total lack of Linux support for hardware monitoring and
troubleshooting.

-Michael

>>> <Steve_Boley at dell.com> 03/11/03 10:50PM >>>
Array Manager functions and utilities are not supported in linux.  You
have
a command line interface for the perc3/di and that is about it.
Steve