Kernel 2.4.18-26 Question

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Mon Mar 10 17:52:00 CST 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Adam Williams wrote:

> Run top or free -ot on the server.  If it shows around 960M of ram, then
> you need to use bigmem.  But I don't know if bigmem has SMP support or
> not.  You could put on bigmem and then use top or cat /proc/cpuinfo and
> see if it reports one or 2 processors.

i believe bigmem has smp support.  IIRC it goes like this

kernel-X-i386     - should boot on everything
kernel-X-i686     - optimized for i686 (> PII)
kernel-X-smp      - supports smp on pentium and above (386/486 has smp bugs?)
kernel-X-i686-smp - optimized smp for i686 (> PII)
kernel-X-bigmem	  - supports > 4G of memory and smp (upto 4way?) (> PII i686 implied)
kernel-X-enterprise - supports > 16G of memory and smp  (upto 16way?)

as of redhat 7.3 and above there doesn't appear to be a enterprise kernel
being shipped.  i am assuming this is because RH AS 2.1 replaces this
product niche.

regards,

-jason