Intel EEPro100 card

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Thu Mar 6 06:22:00 CST 2003

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 trlists at clayst.com wrote:

> On 6 Mar 2003 colbey at dreamwerx.net wrote:
>
> > download the lastest from ftp.kernel.org, untar to say /usr/src/linux ,
> > run: make menuconfig

i would change that slightly to "find your closest mirror and then
fetch from that" rather than directly from ftp.kernel.org.

> Thanks.  Isn't there an option somewhere to preserve the old
> configuration and add any new options?  I think I saw this somewhere,

just copy the /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config file to some other name (and
directory) e.g ../.config-<date>

> > make dep clean modules modules_install bzImage
>
> That's another question that's been puzzling me.  Some instructions say
> make dep then make clean, others are the other way.  And if one makes a
> minor config change is a make clean required, or only if switching to a
> new kernel version?

your best bet with a new kernel is to do something like

make distclean
# you need the above step because sometimes you can run into quite
# weird symbol stuff that only seems to be resolved if you do this
# first
make menuconfig
# <select stuff etc>
make dep clean modules bzImage
make modules_install
make install

> > edit /etc/lilo.conf to be sure you have 2 options for vmlinuz and
> > vmlinuz.old incase the kernel is messed..
>
> That last part is pretty much what I've been doing.

with redhat 7.3 and later this of course becomes editing /etc/grub.conf

regards,

-jason