Intel EEPro100 card

trlists@clayst.com trlists at clayst.com
Thu Mar 6 05:21:00 CST 2003

On 6 Mar 2003 colbey at dreamwerx.net wrote:

> download the lastest from ftp.kernel.org, untar to say /usr/src/linux ,
> run: make menuconfig

Thanks.  Isn't there an option somewhere to preserve the old
configuration and add any new options?  I think I saw this somewhere,
but can't remember what it is.  I never quite remember what I set for
all the options!

> make dep clean modules modules_install bzImage

That's another question that's been puzzling me.  Some instructions say
make dep then make clean, others are the other way.  And if one makes a
minor config change is a make clean required, or only if switching to a
new kernel version?

> copy /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot
> mv /boot/vmlinuz vmlinuz.old
> mv /boot/bzImage vmlinuz
> chmod 400 vmlinuz
>
> edit /etc/lilo.conf to be sure you have 2 options for vmlinuz and
> vmlinuz.old incase the kernel is messed..

That last part is pretty much what I've been doing.

Thanks for all the help!