Intel EEPro100 card

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 21:17:00 CST 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:45:14PM -0500, trlists at clayst.com wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2003 Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
> > "with eepro100 support removed from the kernel"
> >
> > So, you are using a non-standard eepro100?
>
> No, I am using the latest version from the developer's web site, built
> as a module.  My understanding was that eepro100 behaved much better as
> a module than built-in.  How is yours set up?

module or built-in makes no difference...  built-in is actually a tiny bit faster,
because of the reduce chance of TLB misses, and slightly increase cache efficiency.

Drivers from Dr. Donald Becker (original eepro100 author) have diverged from the
kernel drivers, and should be considered an alternative branch, not the latest
version.  His drivers do not use the standard kernel PCI code, among other
differences.  The in-kernel eepro100 has fixes his driver does not, and vice versa.

Red Hat is migrating towards use of "e100" driver as primary, because Intel actively
supports it.  Practically speaking, eepro100 is not as actively maintained, even
though it is quite stable for many users.

	Jeff