raid on RedHat 7.2 distro

Matt rudmann at en.com
Wed Mar 5 09:36:01 CST 2003

Hello,

I am attempting to get raid working on my Dell 500sc Poweredge server.
 I am using RedHat 7.2 for the OS.  The controller that Dell shipped
is a CERC ATA100/4ch.  I have 3 40gb IDEs.

Here is what I did so far:
1) Installed RedHat using the Dell ServerAssistant install CD.  I
selected RAID 5 at the appropriate point during this Dell utility.

2) I have unpartitioned space on the hard drive(s) now (about 67 gb).

Questions:
1) Is hardware RAID automatically active now or do I need to install
drivers, configure partitions, etc. to use RAID?  I am OK if hardware
RAID is working transparently.
2) How can I determine that RAID is working?
3) How do I properly create and format a new partition on the server
so that it is part of the RAID?  Or, is the hardware RAID already
turned on?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
-Matt