Is anyone using a PE2650 as an NFS server for UNIX clients????

Mansell, Gary GRMansell at ricardo.com
Wed Mar 5 07:45:00 CST 2003

My messages file is getting swamped with errors that I believe are coming the NFS server subsystem on the Linux server. If anyone is using a PE2650 as an NFS server to UNIX clients please can you look in the messages file on the Linux server to see if you are getting the following errors:

Feb 25 05:08:18 dfgsrv kernel: svc: bad direction 256, dropping request
Feb 25 05:08:58 dfgsrv last message repeated 6 times
Feb 25 05:10:02 dfgsrv last message repeated 11 times
Feb 25 05:11:02 dfgsrv last message repeated 10 times
Feb 25 05:12:02 dfgsrv last message repeated 10 times

If so, please can you respond telling me which architecture client(s) you are serving NFS services to so that I can narrow down the cause of the problem. I have been working with Redhat on this for a while but to date have got nowhere.

My hypothesis is that one particular type of UNIX client is having trouble communicating properly with my RH 7.3 Linux server (2.4.18-18.7.xsmp). I have had no reports back from the users of the NFS client workstations that things are not working correctly but I am getting thousands of messages swamping my messages file and this may be affecting performance.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Gary Mansell
Senior Technical Analyst
IT Department