afaapps-2.6-0 and disk hotswap

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Sun Mar 2 14:59:01 CST 2003

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, kris carlier wrote:

> > I configured hardware RAID5 on a Poweredge, and would like to test the
> > hot swap of hard drives. I downloaded afaapps-2.6-0.tar.gz and am now
> > experimenting with it.
> >
> > I wondered if I had to put a disk "offline" before taking it out of the
> > box. (I don't see any command for that, but prefere to ask here before
> > experimenting too much ;-)
>
> 1)
> - just pull it out

not recommended by dell though it can be done.. to just pull the drive.
(but i don't speak for dell, i've done both without ill effects so far.. :-)

the recommended way was to shut down the disk in the slot first

enclosure prepare slot 0 0 (example that will shut down the first disk slot..)
or 0 1, or 0 2   etc.

> - insert a new one

correct.

> - container set global_failover xxxxx where the xxx indicates the position
> of the just-replaced disk

you don't need to do that - if you put in a fresh disk it will automatically
rebuild onto it.  you can set the above if you have a hot spare disk in
another slot that you want to automatically failover to in the event of a disk
failure.

> 2) I don't remember out of the head, but help is your friend: enclosure
> prepare xxxx, look at the lights on the disk, after a few moments it'll
> stop, then switch to 1)

you don't need to do this after the fact - if you put a new disk in it should
automatically bring this container slot up and power it.

regards,

-jason