More kernel queries

Marc Schmitt schmitt at inf.ethz.ch
Sat Mar 1 05:11:01 CST 2003

Hi John,

John Logsdon wrote:

>Hi
>
>This is really directed to kernel hacking types, RedHat and Dell lurkers
>on the list!
>
>I want to compile in the latest patches of grsecurity that have a process
>accounting system included but may I ask for advice first.  If anyone has
>already done this, some specific guidance would be appreciated.
>
>The system is PE2650/6GB (4+2 redundant to avoid the bigmen problems at
>the moment) and RH8.0.
>
>The grsecurity patches require 2.4.20 but the latest RH version is
>2.4.18-24.7 at least on the errata page (3 Feb 03).
>
>It is possible that some of the patches from 2.4.18 to 2.4.18-24.7 have
>found their way into 2.4.20.

Look at the 2.4.18-24.7 SRPM, quite a bunch of patches come from the
2.4.19 and up kernels and AC stuff.

>I would like if possible to retain any changes RH have put in and that
>will have been tested by Dell.

Sounds like a challenge, considering the amount of patches RH puts in... ;)

>The grsecurity patch will not work with 2.4.18-24.7 (I expect although I
>haven't tried this!)
>
>What is a suggested path?

Chances are very high that it will fail. I'm using EVMS and did not even
bother trying to patch a RH kernel either. For what I needed (XFS and
EVMS), I took the latest stable patchset (forces me to use kernel
2.4.19), added the latest stable qla2xxx drivers, used the patches in
2.4.18-24.7 to add e100 and e1000 support and probably will add the
latest tg3 driver the next time I fiddle with it, as the latest results
look very promising. All this for a PE4600.

I don't know what hardware the PE2650 has, therefore I can't tell you
what 2.4.20 will be missing. Give it a try, patch 2.4.20, boot it and
check it out.

Regards,
    Marc