dog slow i/o performance with redhat kernel 2.4.18

brien brienfwd at bigfoot.com
Fri Jan 31 14:10:00 CST 2003

hi,

i posted this on the dell aacraid mailing list with no response.  hopefully
someone here can help me troubleshoot this.

i've recently upgraded from the redhat linux 2.4.9 kernel to 2.4.18 and
noticed a very large degradation in performance which seems to be due to
slow disk i/o.  my setup is a dell 2450, 2x 866 P3, 2GB RAM, Perc 3/Si,
RAID 1+0.  the server is serving IMAP and NFS.  it looks like the IMAP disk
i/o which used to be a blip on the radar is now killing the machine.

i've upgraded to the latest 2.7.1 firmware and this didn't solve the
problem.  i don't have any scsi related errors in any logs.  has something
changed with the aacraid driver between these kernel versions?  is this a
known issue and is it being addressed?

thanks,
brien