orphaned processes on 2650's running RH 7.3

Gabriel Rosenkoetter grosen at cc3.com
Fri Jan 31 12:58:01 CST 2003

At Friday, January 31, 2003 12:48 PM, Brian K. Jones wrote:
> What a lot of users do is 'ssh -X' to the box, and either
> shoot back an xterm, from which they launch vim or emacs, or
> shoot back gvim or xemacs.

There is something horribly misconfigured either about your X
libraries or about the X servers local to those user's systems if
the processes don't close properly. My feeling is that the latter is
the problem, and you didn't even say what OS was involved there,
much less which Windows (assuming, here) X server they're using.

I routinely do this myself (btw, ssh -f is your friend on this, and
*may* fix the problem you're seeing, though I don't promise it)
without ever winding up with disowned processes. And I do it for
Veritas, Oracle, and so forth's GUIs when forced to (read, when
installing), though mostly just with xterm.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
grosen at cc3.com
CC3 {Unix,Linux} Systems Administrator

information of CC3 that may be confidential, proprietary and/or legally
privileged, and is intended to be read and used solely by the individuals
or entities named as recipients on this message.  Without limiting the
foregoing, all copyrightable graphics, content and documents, and all
trademarks, service marks and trade names, contained in this e-mail message
or any attachment are exclusively owned by CC3, and no rights are granted
in such tent and materials except as expressly stated in this notice.