Processors

Peter Larsen plarsen at famlarsen.homelinux.com
Wed Jan 29 13:11:01 CST 2003

Rick Root wrote:
> I ordered a Dell PowerEdge 4600 with two 2.0 ghz processors.
> I'm running RedHat 2.1AS
> ran "top" while installing Oracle today and it claims that
> I have four processors.
> What's up with that?

That's the "smart" threading in the processors that is meant to have each
XEON show up as two processors (I don't run Dell, but run dual Xeon with the
same result):

[plarsen at tintin proc]$ cat cpuinfo | egrep "processor|model name"
processor       : 0
model name      : Intel(R) XEON(TM) CPU 2.40GHz
processor       : 1
model name      : Intel(R) XEON(TM) CPU 2.40GHz
processor       : 2
model name      : Intel(R) XEON(TM) CPU 2.40GHz
processor       : 3
model name      : Intel(R) XEON(TM) CPU 2.40GHz

I spoke to some Intel "techies" at a conference in November, and they told
me "that's on purpose" :)
Supposedly, the internal architecture makes the processor able to run
multiple threads almost concurrently. You'll find more information on
Intel's site on the product specs for the processor.

Regards
  Peter Larsen