Dell/Redhat/tg3 problems

Heflin, Roger A. Roger.A.Heflin at conocophillips.com
Thu Jan 23 16:19:01 CST 2003

I have spent alot of time on a new sun find that the Standard CD won't work
and that you need a special updated version of the cd, and then extra drivers
there too.

In our case, we are doing this with lots of machines, using a Sun solution
would cost us 3x for the required amount of cpu power, and x is a 7 digit
number, so for the 2x increase you can afford to spend alot of time
engineering things, and alot of what we enginner is streamlining the install
process as installing lots of machines takes lots of time if you don't
do something.

I have also had pretty good luck with using redhat as the base installation,
but almost always upgrading the kernel to the latest production kernel,
while not supported by dell or redhat, we have had alot better luck with
reporting bugs to the kernel developers and driver developers than we
every had reporting things to redhat or Sun.

I can agree though that Dell should not have sent out the firmware that
they did on the our 2650s, as they all had to be upgraded.

			Roger