2650 setup as an nfs server

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Thu Jan 23 06:47:00 CST 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 lars at levonline.com wrote:

> I got an spare 2650 that I would like to set up as an NFS server. Disabling the
> broadcom and putting in an eepro1000 seems like a good start since all the
> trouble we are experiencing with the broadcom nics.
>
> I'm thinking about buying a PERC 3/DC controller and setting up raid 5 over
> five internal 73GByte disks.
>
> Is the PERC 3/DC a good choice for this setup or should I go for something
> else? I want to use the internal disks and not an external cabinet.

the 2650 has on onboard (ROMB) scsi raid controller built in that might
be already enabled or that you can buy an enabler kit for, in preference
to buying an extra card.

performance wise the perc3/QC has been reported to give much better results
than the perc3/DC but you might also consider software raid.

> What kind of performance would this give me? The setup is on a gigabit switch.
>
> My old NFS-server uses 30Mbit/sec on an average today, it peaks on about
> 65Mbit/sec (it serves lot of small files to a farm of web servers).

Can you tell what percentage of that is read and what is write ?  Translating
those figures roughly gives you 3Mbyte/sec average and 6.5Mbyte/sec peak which
should easily be possible on the 2650.

regards,

-jason