Dell/Redhat/tg3 problems

Amit_Bhutani@dell.com Amit_Bhutani at dell.com
Wed Jan 22 20:32:00 CST 2003

That will be correct.
2.4.18-19: latest "official" kernel errata from Red Hat.
The ".7.x" and the ".8.x" are suffixes Red Hat is adding to differentiate
7.x and 8.x kernels.
So for example:
If you are on a 7.x kernel, you want to upgrade to 2.4.18-19.7.x kernel
If you are on a 8.x kernel, you want to upgrade to 2.4.18-19.8.x kernel

The kernels Jeff Garzik posted (aragorn1 and aragorn2) are *not* official
errata. They are beta to the next official errata. They are not to be used
in a production environment. The purpose of downloading his kernels is to
run it in a test environment and see if it solves any of your problems as he
has put a bunch of fixes for the tg3 driver.

BTW, you can force an upgrade by using the --force switch with the rpm
command. Now you also mention about rpm-Uvh. My $0.02 on that - Stick with
rpm-ivh when it comes to kernels *especially* when volunteering to test beta
kernels.

Hope this clarifies some of your questions.

Amit Bhutani
Linux Development Engineer
Dell