2650 - tg3 on 2.4.18-19.7.xsmp rh7.3 ... OOPS AGAIN

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Tue Jan 21 23:44:01 CST 2003

From: Jacek Radajewski [mailto:jacek at usq.edu.au]

> A far worse event was a crash of a machine running the
> bcm5700 driver, so tg3 could not have been the problem.  I
> was not able to catch the oops as I'm not running a serial
> console on that box.
>
> I've been running Linux on dell hardware for almost 5 years
> now and never had any problems.  The number of crashes I've
> experienced recently makes our boxes unfit for production and
> therefore worthless.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I'd put an Intel/3Com card in and give up.  As long as
Dell goes the cheap route on just about everything, they'll
keep using garbage Broadcom network cards since they get
them cheap on the ServerWorks-based motherboards.  Those
are the most unreliable cards I've ever seen, and I must
say they're the only card I've seen that is universally
hated by unix and Windows admins at the company I work for.

Dave