Updated tg3 driver available

Les Niles lniles at Narus.com
Tue Jan 21 14:55:49 CST 2003

Jeff Garzik [mailto:jgarzik at redhat.com] wrote:
> For bcm5700 users, if it's working for you, fine and dandy.  I am a
> Southerner, who believes strongly in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix
> it" mantra.  However, just to reiterate, there continue to be
> known bugs
> in the bcm5700 driver, over and above the slower performance
> it offers.
> The internal driver locking functions are incorrect and could lead to
> stack corruption at high loads.  The hardware errata workarounds are
> incredibly heavy handed, and serve to severely limit performance in
> exchange for working around hardware errata.

Since this is a 10/100/1000 interface, does "high load" mean high
relative to 1 Gb/s, or high relative to the link-level max speed?  In
other words, are the bcm5700 bugs likely to be hit on a 100baseT network?
Likewise, do the hardware errata work-arounds significantly degrade
performance when the interface is used for 100baseT?

  -les  lniles at narus.com