Dell and Linux [Was: RE:Remote Boot]

Peter Larsen plarsen at famlarsen.homelinux.com
Fri Jan 17 13:18:01 CST 2003

Nadim Bitar wrote:
> I am not personally happy with my Dell PE Servers. Everything was fine
> till i started having problems and then it turns out everything I need
> to do is not doable without having Windows.

What is it you're trying to do? You've been told how to setup for bios upgrade and how to download drivers from Linux. Your worst case senario is to use DOSEMu or wine if you cannot find an easy way to do what's required.

The Dell guides stinks - yes. They are way too Windows fixated - but it's still rather simple tasks you need to do.

Ask your Dell representative to get a techie to contact you, and explain the excat process of upgrading bios etc.  A suggestion would be to setup a "FreeDos" partition from the get-go, install dianostics etc. to this partition, and bios changes, which requires a reboot after all.

Regards
  Peter Larsen