Dell and Linux [Was: RE:Remote Boot]

Nadim Bitar nadiizu at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 17 12:37:01 CST 2003

I am not personally happy with my Dell PE Servers. Everything was fine
till i started having problems and then it turns out everything I need
to do is not doable without having Windows.
I own 10 computers at home and none of them run windows. All my servers
in the co-lo either run Linux or Solaris.
My next 1-U servers are going to be the Sun LX-50 or the IBM, but this
time i'll do my research.
My frustration is from having a simple problem with no solution, my
system always shutdown for no reason. Sometimes it shutdows in 2 weeks
and sometimes in 1 month. It is not a hardware problem and i can't seem
to be able to figure out what is going on. The system is fully updated,
running Redhat linux 8.0 with no heavy load. It's just a small
mailserver for 1000 users with no public access.

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-November/010239.html

http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/software/smdrac3/RAC/en/readme/111read.txt

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2003-January/011190.html

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-November/010623.html
> But Mozilla + j2sdk-1.4.1_01-fcs is still lightyears ahead of
Netscape.

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/software/svradmin/1.2.3/ug/remote.htm#using_rac

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-December/010804.html
> Also the OMSA docs fail to mention that it has a tendency to not work
on tuesdays.
> It's reliable Jim, but not as we know it.
>
> Please read this list before contributing !
> There's already a wealth of information there, not just about RAC
issues ! ;-)
> You can conveniently access the archives from here:
> http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/
> You can even download the full raw archive in mbox format.
>
> Cheers,
> Harold.
>

> > --Jim
> >
> > "So here I go, it's my shot
> > Feet fail me not
> > This may be the only opportunity I got"

Oostrom
> > Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 6:23 PM
> > To: Philip Rowlands
> > Cc: Linux-Poweredge at dell.com
> > Subject: Re: Remote boot

> > buy the
> > server,
> > >
> > > Please elaborate; is this equivalent as Sun's LOM (lights-out
> > > management)? Is it different to the DRAC card ($300)? I can't see
this
> > > option on Dell's website when configuring a PE1650.
> >
> > Phil,
> >
> > The options appears to be missing on www.dell.com but it is on the
Euro

http://commerce.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config/frameset.asp?s=ukbsd&l=en
> > &m=gbp&c=607&n=3119&cu=ukbsd&pch=1&pn=3119&sbc=ukbsd&b=31868
> >
> > Sun's LOM gives you complete control over the machine and requires
only
> > a serial connection. It is more expensive though ;-)
> >
> > Connecting to ERA requires a M$ computer with IE with java plugin,
and
> > if
> > you want console redirection (say if you want to go into the BIOS)
then