esm module and ntp problem

Brian Smith BSmith at lyrix.com
Wed Jan 15 11:19:01 CST 2003

Looking at my ntp logs in /var/log/messages, I see quite large jumps in
time:

Jan 15 04:54:12 test5 ntpd[716]: time reset 0.783464 s
Jan 15 04:54:12 test5 ntpd[716]: synchronisation lost
Jan 15 05:24:46 test5 ntpd[716]: time reset 0.492777 s
Jan 15 05:24:46 test5 ntpd[716]: synchronisation lost
Jan 15 06:15:19 test5 ntpd[716]: time reset 0.380051 s
Jan 15 06:15:19 test5 ntpd[716]: synchronisation lost
Jan 15 06:43:11 test5 ntpd[716]: time reset -0.609906 s
Jan 15 06:43:11 test5 ntpd[716]: synchronisation lost
Jan 15 07:14:33 test5 ntpd[716]: time reset 1.281493 s
Jan 15 07:14:33 test5 ntpd[716]: synchronisation lost
Jan 15 10:25:19 test5 ntpd[716]: time reset 3.868125 s
Jan 15 10:25:19 test5 ntpd[716]: synchronisation lost
Jan 15 11:57:38 test5 ntpd[716]: time reset 0.147323 s
Jan 15 11:57:38 test5 ntpd[716]: synchronisation lost

These logs are all after I have stopped all Dell OMSA software and unloaded
the esm module on this (test5) system.  I stopped the software yesterday
morning.  The system is quite idle and not performing any tasks at all.  A
jump of 3.86 seconds in 3+ hours is really poor.  Test5 is a Dell PE2600.
Kernel is 2.4.9-13 (no comments, please.  It is a requirement, not a
choice).

Perhaps my time problems are not related to the Dell OMSA software, but to
the hardware or kernel.  I'll have to check other systems to see what their
timekeeping history is like.

I am used to seeing timeshifts of +/- 0.20000 s or less on non-Dell
hardware, however these jumps are much larger.

                    JP Vossen
                    <vossenjp at netaxs.com        To:     Bryan Boatright <boatright at ieee.org>
                    >                           cc:     Linux-Poweredge at dell.com
                    Sent by:                    Subject:     Re: esm module and ntp problem
                    linux-poweredge-admi
                    n at dell.com

                    01/15/03 11:33 AM

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Bryan Boatright wrote:

> I too am experiencing poor time keeping with my Dell PE600SC.  The
machine
> loses almost exactly 13 seconds daily.  I am not running ntp, but am
> running ntpdate twice daily to keep the time drift under control.

Ouch.  That is not the recommended way of doing things.  I hope you are not
running any databases on that box.  Big "jumps" in time are generally BAD.
Why can't you run ntpd?  Worst case, you can train it to correct for the 13
sec. a day by itself.  Best case, just let it keep everything in symc.

> Also, I am not running OSMA at all.  I am running kernel 2.4.20.  Anyone
> have any thoughts?

I wanted to point that out again for myself after Matt's last message.  I
am NOT running esm either.  In my case, it *seems* to be my backup job
(afio
to a local IDE device).  I did not notice any clock drift, but I installed
ntpd as soon as I built the server, so...

I guess the next thing to try is to move my backup job date/time and see
what
happens.  Sigh.

Later,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|                jp at jpsdomain.org
"The software said it requires Windows 98 or better, so I installed
Linux..."