esm module and ntp problem

JP Vossen vossenjp at netaxs.com
Wed Jan 15 10:35:00 CST 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Bryan Boatright wrote:

> I too am experiencing poor time keeping with my Dell PE600SC.  The machine
> loses almost exactly 13 seconds daily.  I am not running ntp, but am
> running ntpdate twice daily to keep the time drift under control.

Ouch.  That is not the recommended way of doing things.  I hope you are not
running any databases on that box.  Big "jumps" in time are generally BAD.
Why can't you run ntpd?  Worst case, you can train it to correct for the 13
sec. a day by itself.  Best case, just let it keep everything in symc.

> Also, I am not running OSMA at all.  I am running kernel 2.4.20.  Anyone
> have any thoughts?

I wanted to point that out again for myself after Matt's last message.  I
am NOT running esm either.  In my case, it *seems* to be my backup job (afio
to a local IDE device).  I did not notice any clock drift, but I installed
ntpd as soon as I built the server, so...

I guess the next thing to try is to move my backup job date/time and see what
happens.  Sigh.

Later,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|                jp at jpsdomain.org
"The software said it requires Windows 98 or better, so I installed
Linux..."