tg3 Drivers kernel 2.4.18-10smp

fluke@gibson.mw.luc.edu fluke at gibson.mw.luc.edu
Sun Jan 12 14:13:00 CST 2003

If you are looking to continue to get support from RH or Dell then you
should upgrade the tg3 driver with the 2.4.18-19.7.x package.  If the PE
2650s came with RH pre-installed then they should have come with
activation codes to get RHN basic service.  This allows the kernel to be
updated with up2date such as:   up2date -f kernel-smp

But, if reliablity is more important than speed then you should switch the
network connection to the second port and use the e100 driver.  We also
bought several PE 2650s and discovered that for *both* Linux and Novell
Netware that the Broadcom gigabyte NIC drivers suck.  Dell's primary
customer is still people that mostly buy into Wintel.  For the rest of us
that are interested in "alternatives" such a Linux, PPC,
x86-64/Sledgehammer, etc. then it might be time to move on.