RedHat 8.0 on a PE 2550 (hang)...
crhea at mayo.edu
Thu Jan 9 13:35:00 CST 2003
Received several replies already! Thanks folks!
In answer to a couple questions I've received:
1. No, I'm not running X on the console- normal character-based login.
2. Nothing in the PCI slots. Machine is stock as it came from Dell
(8QJR411 if you're curious).
3. A couple folks pointed me at problems with the Gig Ethernet driver
(tg3) shipping with RedHat8.0. I have downloaded the
errata kernel upgrade (kernel-smp-2.4.18-19.8.0.i686.rpm) and am
trying it to see if it fixes the problem.
4. Yes, I too have seen horrid NFS issues with the later RedHat releases
(several bug reports from me in bugzilla on RH7.3 issues), but
have found a combination of things that work well at our site
(we have both Sun/NFS servers as well as NT/Microsoft NFS servers).
I've used the same settings that worked in RH7.3 for this 8.0 system.
Since the system is basically idle, NFS shouldn't be the culprit
(things are automounted, but with no users on the system, nothing
Cristopher J. Rhea Mayo Foundation
Research Computing Facility Pavilion 2-25
crhea at Mayo.EDU Rochester, MN 55905
(507) 284-0587 Fax: (507) 284-5231
More information about the Linux-PowerEdge