Cleaning tape on PowerVault 122T with mtx

Karl Zander KZander at CommPartners.com
Thu Jan 9 12:35:01 CST 2003

We have a PowerVault 122T (DLT with 8 slot autoloader) that we use with a
PowerEdge 1650.  Running RedHat 7.3.  Using mtx version 1.2.17rel to
control the loading and unloading of tapes from the slots to the drive.

I have not been able to figure out if or how I can control the cleaning
tape.  Through the menu on the front of the PowerVault, I can import and
run the cleaning tape.  The tape is exported and ejected after finishing.

I would like to keep the cleaning tape in slot 8.  Using mtx I can import
the cleaning tape.  And I can load the cleaning tape with mtx. The menu on
the PowerVault reports "cleaning drive," but it just sits there and nothing
seems to happen.  I know cleaning can take a few minutes, but I let it run
for about 20 minutes with no activity that I could detect.

My backup software is BRU from The Tolis Group (www.tolisgroup.com).

Karl