RedHat 8.0 on a PE 2550 (hang problem)

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Thu Jan 9 11:44:01 CST 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Cris Rhea wrote:

>I've got a pretty vanilla install of RedHat 8.0 on a 2550.

Network card driver. See the archives of this list for the past 2 months
(tg3/broadcom). See also the latest kernel errata for RH8.0 (of which
there are mixed reports of success).

>My first round with Dell Support had diag failures that resulted a bunch of the machine
>being replaced.
>
>The hang still came back.
>
>Second round with Dell Support replaced most of the hardware: both CPU's, the CPU VRM's,
>motherboard, memory, memory VRM, RAID key, RAID memory, power supplies, power supply
>harness (in short, everything except the disk drives, SCSI backplane, and the sheet metal).

I wouldn't presume to tell Dell how to run their business, but...

You'd think that such a frequently asked question would filter through
to the people on the phones. That and "I've only got 2 CPUs but Linux
tells me there are 4".

Cheers,

Phil