Problems loading 2.5.54 kernel on PowerEdge 2550

Machuca, Adan L. Adan.Machuca at cmet.af.mil
Wed Jan 8 09:23:00 CST 2003

I have had a "horrific" time getting a 2.5.x Linux kernel to load on our
Dell PowerEdge 2550.
When I compile the 2.5.x kernel, I get all kinds of compilation errors in
the drivers/scsi
section. (aha1542, PCI2000, PCI2220I, etc., got past by just removing them
from the .config
file; hoping that all I need is the AIC7xxx driver to compile..) Well, after
finally compiling
and getting a bzImage, I tried to boot and lo and behold... VFS kernel
panic... After another
2 day of trying to figure out why, I found in the linux archives that for
SCSI/RAID devices
to boot; I needed to create a initrd/.img file with mkinitrd... Well okay we
are on to something
I thought... But when I go through that process, with the following
command...

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.5.54.img 2.5.54 (which looks at /etc/modules.conf)

I get ....

No module aic7xxx found for kernel 2.5.54

but wait, when I did a make modules_install there in
/lib/modules/2.5.54/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx are the following files, but
with a .ko
extension instead of a .o extension....

aic79xx.ko  aic7xxx.ko

so I copy aic7xxx.ko to aic7xxx.o and run

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.5.54.img 2.5.54 again. I get

No module aacraid found for kernel 2.5.54

Which brings me to my problem. I cannot get my .config parameter to set
CONFIG_SCSI_AACRAID=m in the 2.5.54 kernel tree.. and as a result cannot get
the
aacraid.o module to build. It's as if CONFIG_SCSI_AACRAID does not exist in
the 2.5.54
source config. When I manually set it in the .config, doing a make modules
removes the
entry, thus not allowing it to be built.....

my /etc/modules.conf from a standard Redhat 8.0 install

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 e1000
alias eth1 e1000
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
alias scsi_hostadapter1 aacraid

Any help would be greatly appreciated....