ifdown of a single NIC in a bond

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 7 09:34:00 CST 2003

ive got 2 NIC's, setup in a bond0, on RH linux 7.3. Dell PE 4600. im not
sure what the best newsgroup to post to is, but i thought id try here
first.

my ports are set for 100 FD, so i need to force the NIC's to 100 Full as
well. in my /etc/modules.conf, i force the NIC's to be 100 Full with the
following:

alias eth2 e1000
alias eth3 e1000
options e1000 Speed=100 Duplex=2

but my eth3 is still running in Half mode:

#dmesg:

Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 4.3.2-k1 NAPI (020618)
Copyright (c) 1999-2002 Intel Corporation.
divert: allocating divert_blk for eth2
eth2: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
Forcing to 100 Mbps Full Duplex
Speed, AutoNeg and MDI-X specifications are incompatible. Setting MDI-X to
a compatible value.
divert: allocating divert_blk for eth3
eth3: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
bond0: enslaving eth2 as an active interface with an up link.
bond0: enslaving eth3 as an active interface with an up link.
e1000: eth2 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex
e1000: eth3 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Half Duplex

so it looks like the eth3 is not getting forced to 100 Full. so my
questions are these:

1) how do i force eth3 to 100 Full? Will this work in my modules.conf?:

alias eth2 e1000
options e1000 Speed=100 Duplex=2
alias eth3 e1000
options e1000 Speed=100 Duplex=2

2) can i bring down eth3, and will bond0 still work, using eth2 as its
only NIC? i ask, cause this is our fileserver, and i dont want to bring
down bond0 unless i have to.

thanks in advance!

alex
   Alex Lazarevich | Systems | Imaging Technology Group
   alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu | (217)244-1565 | www.itg.uiuc.edu