-bash: /bin/ls: Input/output error

bscott@ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Fri Jan 3 08:02:01 CST 2003

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, at 7:46am, dixont at musc.edu wrote:
>> After running without incident for 10 days or so, my system now enters a
>> strange state each day where new processes cannot be created.  Every
>> command results in the error message "Input/output error".
>
> I believe i've seen this behavior before when the system has exceeded the
> maximum amount of open files.

  When I read the OP, that was my first thought, too.  But the system is
supposed to use error EMFILE ("Too many open files") or ENFILE ("File table
overflow") to report those kinds of problems.  EIO ("I/O error") typically
means something more along the lines of "system is broken".

  Of course, the system might just be giving a misleading error message, but
my experience with Linux is that it usually reports too many open files
correctly.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>