PERC 3/Di (AAC) RAID expansion (resize)

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at Dell.com
Thu Jan 2 16:14:00 CST 2003

>   We have a Dell PowerEdge 2500 with PERC 3/Di ROMB (RAID-on-motherboard).
> It had a RAID container (logical volume) consisting of three 18 GB disks.
> We added a fourth 18 GB disk and would like to expand the RAID container to
> use the new disk as well.  Then we can use existing Linux tools to resize
> the data filesystem to use the new space as well.  The problem is, I can't
> figure out how to do that.

Did you make this work yet?

>   Information I found elsewhere on the web indicates that "container
> reconfigure ..." would reconfigure a container to use a new disk.  I tried
> it, and it worked -- sort of.  Now the container is spread across all four
> disks, but it did not actually get any larger.  I just have 16 GB of
> unallocated space on all disks now.

Yes, "container reconfigure" is the right thing.  (Watch for an article
describing how to do disk space addition in the March edition of Dell
PowerSolutions magazine.  Tesfamariam and I tried to make it as simple as
possible.)

>   Can anyone point me in the right direction?

container reconfigure /partion_size=drive_size logical_drive_id
(bus,id,lun)

Adds the given drive to the specified logical drive.  For
example, container reconfigure /partition_size=33000M 1 (1,4,0) adds 33
GB of bus 1 disk 4 to logical drive 1.

Once the container is larger, you can use GNU Parted to resize the file
system.  (There are steps beforehand and afterward too, like making sure
you unmount the file system prior to growing the container and the fs of
course, telling the SCSI layer you've changed the size of the logical
disk, remounting, etc.).

Thanks,
Matt

--