Update: PowerEdge6400 PCI Interrupt Bug

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Wed Mar 27 16:53:01 CST 2002

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Curtis Rubel wrote:

> Hello all once again,
>
>         After reporting the situation to Dell, the only
> recommendation was to upgrade to the Enterprise Server
> version of Redhat.  They seem to think that they kernel
> that ships with the regular version will not properly support
> more that 2 cpus...
>
>         I seem to recall that the Linux kernel will support
> up to 128 cpus out of the box, but I am not 100% positive
> on the number.

there is a difference between "the linux kernel out of the box"
and "a redhat kernel"

a linux kernel "out of the box" will support nothing, since you
have to compile it.  it's source :-)

a redhat kernel may well have issues because it is a binary
which could have been compiled with a certain configuration
in mind.  i.e the i686 smp kernel is compiled with different
options to the i686 enterprise kernel.

i am not stating this for a fact since i don't have any > quad
machines to independantly verify this, but dell do, so i guess
that's what they're trying to tell you.

>         At any rate, we currently have all 4 cpus reinstalled, running
> the same 2.4.18 kernel we had previously, our PCI cards are
> installed in slots 1,2,5 and the system is running ok.  We will leave
> it cycling overnight to verify things.

it'd not any kind of voltage issue on that pci card/slot is it ?

regards,

-jason