DLT tape question

James Bruce brucej at musc.edu
Wed Mar 27 13:15:01 CST 2002

Most informative thread.  I thank you for the learning experience.  I had
no idea there were so many differences and I'm better prepared because I
have both quantum and DLT1 drives.

Thanks

James

--On Wednesday, March 27, 2002 10:56:23 -0600 Richard_Goodwin at dell.com
wrote:

> Jacob's explanation is correct, here is a slight variation of the answer:
>
> The DLT1 can only read from a 4k tape. The DLT1 and 4K have different head
> technologies. The signal that the 4K writes with is stronger than that of
> the DLT1 therefore it can not overcome the signal strength to over write
> it. Because they write in the same format the DLT1 can read from it. The
> reason the DLT1 cannot read a 7K tape is because the head on the 7K
> writes at an angle and the DLT1 head is stationary.
>
> One other thing the F/W in the DLT1 is supposed to detect the different
> tape and flag the write protect bit. The orange light on the drive will
> also light up when the dlt4k tape is inserted, regardless of the position
> of the write protect switch.
>
> Richard Goodwin - richard_goodwin at dell.com
> Tape Hardware and Software Development

=====
James J Bruce (brucej at musc.edu)
GCRC Informatics Manager
Medical University of South Carolina
Charleston, SC 29425  (843) 876-5101

There are two major products that have come out of the University of
California at Berkeley: LSD and BSD.  We don't believe this to be a
coincidence.
-- Jeremy S. Anderson