DLT tape question

Jeremy_Sheard@Dell.com Jeremy_Sheard at Dell.com
Wed Mar 27 10:53:08 CST 2002

You are correct Basil.  I forgot to mention that you can only *read* the
DLT4K Tapes.

Thank You,

Jeremy Sheard
DELL Server Support

-----Original Message-----
From: Basil Hussain [mailto:basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 10:47 AM
To: Dell Poweredge Linux List
Subject: RE: DLT tape question

Hi,

> Note the WR_PROT status, i.e. write protected. Needless to say the
> physical write protect tab on the tape is off.
>
> Although tar on linux will happily read the tape's contents, there
> seems to be no way to write to the same tape.

[snip]

> So the $64k question - how do I get to re-use these tapes?

We have an HP DLT1e tape drive here, and the docs state that it will only
*read* DLT4000-written tapes. All the DLT1 tape drives I've ever come across
are the same. For the HP, with regard to writing to them, the manual states
that you may only do this when "a DLTtape IV has been bulk erased or
degaussed".

So, it would seem you can't re-use them as-is.

Regards,

Basil Hussain
Internet Developer, Kodak Weddings
E-Mail: basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com