DLT tape question

Wed Mar 27 10:46:01 CST 2002

Don't know about the exabyte for sure, but with the DLT1 the issue is that
it has a totally different firmware formatting on the tape than quantum uses
for theirs.  The only compatibility between DLT1 and quantum dlts are that
any tape formatted and used in a quantum is read only in a DLT1.  This is
true whether it is being used in Linux, Windows, or anything else.  The only
way you can reuse the tapes is to have them degaussed (erased) with a
machine or you are out of luck.
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee, David Y. [mailto:dlee at SLAC.Stanford.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 10:33 AM
To: 'Linux-Poweredge at dell.com'
Subject: RE: DLT tape question

I have the same problem as Norman. Exabyte-8505 AIT tape connected to
poweredge 1550. MT reports read only media, but write protect tab is off.
I've got only new tapes at the moment, so I can't try reading off the media.
Suggestions?

#mt -f /dev/st0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 1024 bytes. Density code 0x15 (EXB-8500 or QIC-1000).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (45010000):
BOT WR_PROT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

#mt -f /dev/st0 erase