DLT tape question

Lee, David Y. dlee at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Wed Mar 27 10:34:01 CST 2002

I have the same problem as Norman. Exabyte-8505 AIT tape connected to poweredge 1550. MT reports read only media, but write protect tab is off. I've got only new tapes at the moment, so I can't try reading off the media. Suggestions?

#mt -f /dev/st0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 1024 bytes. Density code 0x15 (EXB-8500 or QIC-1000).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (45010000):
BOT WR_PROT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

#mt -f /dev/st0 erase
/dev/st0: Read-only file system

-----Original Message-----
From: Norman Bridges [mailto:n.w.bridges at isc.keele.ac.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 8:22 AM
To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
Subject: DLT tape question

Hi

I have a Dell DLT1 tape drive connected to a server running 2.4.9-31. It happily writes tapes from new, using any of dd, dump or tar. I have installed the latest (non-redhat) rpm for dump / restore: dump-0.4b26-1.

I also have a Dell P/V 110T DLT4000 tape drive attached to a Dell 4300. This system is running BSDi. Typically I use GNU tar to write archives to the DLT4000 tapes. The DLT4000 and the DLT1 use identical media, although the DLT1 can write at twice the density.

If I load one of the DLT4000 written tapes into the DLT1, then mt reports the status

SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x88 (DLT 40GB uncompressed). Soft error count since last status=0 General status bits on (45010000): BOT WR_PROT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

Note the WR_PROT status, i.e. write protected. Needless to say the physical write protect tab on the tape is off.

Although tar on linux will happily read the tape's contents, there seems to be no way to write to the same tape. For example

mt -f /dev/st0 erase

reports

/dev/st0: Read-only file system.

So the $64k question - how do I get to re-use these tapes?

Thanks

--
Norman Bridges