questions on tuning PE for linux and SAN on linux..

Michael E Brown michael_e_brown at dell.com
Tue Mar 26 21:39:00 CST 2002

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, jason andrade wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 Matt_Domsch at dell.com wrote:
>
> > We know about it, that's not the issue.  Our team isn't directly responsible
> > for it, but we are assisting the storage team as best we can.  A lot of the
> > issues center around the current QLogic driver not being clean enough to be
> > included in the standard kernel - so Dell's testing keeps uncovering
> > problems that wouldn't be if it were cleaner.   Arjan @ Red Hat has been a
> > *huge* help on this recently - hundreds of hours spent cleaning up the
> > qla2200/2300 driver, and QLogic is receptive to those cleanups - so
> > hopefully the driver will get lots better in the coming months.
>
> i am not being inspired by confidence hearing the above when we have > 1T
> of disk connected using that HBA/driver...

Sorry, I hate to say it, but there are serious issues with any one of the
three different drivers out there that drive Qlogic hardware. A lot of
Linux people don't want to hear about flaws in Linux, but right now this
is a pretty big one. (Which we are working to correct.)

> did the "opensource" driver end up being ditched (Chris someone used
> to maintain it?) in favour of qlogic's driver ?

Here, for posterity, are links to each qlogic driver.

Chris Loveland. qlogicfc driver:
http://www.iol.unh.edu/consortiums/fc/linux/qlogic.html

Matthew Jacob - isp2200 driver: http://www.feral.com/isp.html

Qlogic corp - qla2x00 driver: http://www.qlogic.com/

All three drivers have issues to some extent or another. As a company,
Dell's partner in delivering qlogic drivers to our customers is, of
course, Qlogic. This driver (qla2x00) had quite a few issues, but (as Matt
mentions) we are working with both Red Hat and Qlogic to improve the
situation.

We have seen some improvement from Qlogic lately, and hope to foster the
relationship to the point where we have quality drivers. Positive
statements help a lot more at this point than flames. (In case anybody out
there had that in mind...)

--
Michael