6300 upgrade

Mon Mar 25 10:13:01 CST 2002

> I have a few poweredge 6300's that I would like to upgrade to quad
> processor machines. they are currently single processor.
>
> I have gotten some Xeon processors but found out the typical
> heatsinks don't fit in the motherbaord properly.
>
> does anyone know where to get these? do I have to get them
> from dell directly?

"Dell recommends genuine Dell heatsinks for genuine Intel processors in
genuine Dell servers." :-)
Since our server motherboards (especially on the 6300) are designed
in-house, in cooperation with our mechanical engineering team, the heatsinks
tend to not be common, but custom.  You *may* find another heatsink that
works fine, but I've got to recommend the Dell parts.  I see Steve just told
you the part numbers.  Thanks Steve!

(I don't recall 6300 specifically, but on the PE2200 which had the first
Klamath CPUs, you had to have a special tool to install the heatsink to the
CPU thermal plate - something attached to a drill press.)

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch