questions on tuning PE for linux and SAN on linux..

Michael E Brown michael_e_brown at dell.com
Mon Mar 25 10:06:01 CST 2002

There is good news in that SAN 5.0 is supposed to support Linux, and there
is bad news in that SAN 5.0 is supposed to support Linux. The Dell SAN
releases are block releases in that support for MS, Novell, Linux, and
others is all tested and released as a unit. This is a good thing. If
there is a bug in Linux, the whole release potentially slips to make sure
Linux ships at the same time (yay!). The bad part is that bugs in other
parts mean that even if the Linux part is ready, it doesn't ship until
everything is ready (boo). There are also reasons other than bugs why the
release may slip.

SAN 5 has been especially difficult. Because Linux is now elevated to
being fully supported in this release, it has received some very extensive
testing. Unfortunately, this testing has uncovered many, many, many issues
with Qlogic driver support (as Matt mentioned). We especially have issues
shipping software that will corrupt customer data. This explains part of
the slip. Other things explain the rest :-)

So, this leaves me in the interesting position of trying to explain why
_not_ having linux support is a good thing. :-) We are getting there. EMC
has gotten onboard pretty quickly, and will be rolling out Linux support
across Red Hat's currently shipping product set very soon. If you want to
hook up EMC equipment, you should be able to do so. The Dell PV line
(PV660, etc) is what is currently the sore point.

--
Michael