questions on tuning PE for linux and SAN on linux..

Michael E Brown michael_e_brown at dell.com
Mon Mar 25 09:53:01 CST 2002

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-megaraid-devel/2001-August/000042.html
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-megaraid-devel/2001-August/000044.html

Somebody trying to do exactly the same thing you are doing, except that
they are using SCSI. Everything mentioned in the second link still applies
to your FC config, though.

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, jason andrade wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Gabor Kovacs wrote:
>
> you're telling me..  it was hard enough getting dell to sell me the
> kit in the first place when i told them i was putting linux and not
> windows on it.. but i won't get into that.

Dell won't knowingly sell you a system that we don't specifically support.
Especially so in the enterprise server market. So if you tell the
salesperson you are going to use Linux, and Linux isn't specifically
called out as being supported, you will have great difficulty ordering.

> > We bougt several months ago a SAN environment too. (We have a PV660 and
> > a 51F Switch now with 1550, 2550 and 4400 machines.) We planed use NFS
> > and SAN in a mixed Linux and Windows environment. Dell said the support
> > for SAN on Linux will we available in the 1st quarter of 2002, but I
> > think nothing was happened there.

Things happen. :-(

> can you tell me anything about your PV660 ?  i'm quite curious to know
> what sort of box it is, since it seems to fit firmly in no man's land
> (650 was Clariion and the 4500/4700 is EMC/Clariion - who made the
> 660?).  how do you manage it ?  is it windows management based or?

PV660 was designed and built by Dell in conjunction with some outside
vendors. It is actually a nice box, very, very cheap compared to the EMC
stuff.

> > See above :) Is there any plan when will be SAN available for Linux?

Yes, there is a plan, but plans can always change :-(. Whether that plan
will ever be executed is unknown at this time. At any rate, we still
cannot pre-announce products, so even if I knew that it was coming out
tomorrow, I couldn't tell you. (FAQ:
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-January/001491.html,
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-February/001654.html)

> from what i understand you can run Linux in a SAN right now, but you
> cannot run multiple linux boxes with access to the SAME luns because
> software like SANergy (Tivoli's stuff?) isn't available, which means

It is not that it isn't available, it is. It's just not a product I could,
in good faith, recommend to my customers.

--
Michael E. Brown, RHCE, MCSE+I, CNA
Dell Linux Solutions

     then each of us still has one object.