Adapter failover with broadcom + intel cards

Mon Mar 25 09:25:00 CST 2002

> I have 7 or so 2550s with the onboard e100s and bcm5700s.
> I want to get failover working with these two cards

Intel's iANS software works with e100 and e1000 chips, any combo of the two.
Broadcom's BASP software works with bcm570x chips.
Never the twain shall meet.

> I couldn't find any intel drivers that had NICE support.

That's good.  NICE isn't officially supported in the kernel, and since Intel
is now working to make sure all their drivers are in the stock kernel.org
kernels, this won't be added.

> If anyone can shed some light on this, or suggest an
> alternative solution,
> as we really don't want to buy extra NICs for these machines.

You might look at linux/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt.  There's even
an example for how to set up a HA solution across two switches.  I'm not
certain if the bcm570x driver currently on the Red Hat distributions
supports the MII stuff that bonding needs though (if not, really current
2.4.x has the new tg3 driver which I bet does!) - and it's not a
configuration that Dell has tested.  But it may do what you need.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch