questions on tuning PE for linux and SAN on linux..

Michael E Brown michael_e_brown at dell.com
Mon Mar 25 07:55:00 CST 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, jason andrade wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Michael E Brown wrote:
>
> > There are a few of them out there :-)  Dell doesn't have any official
> > support for SAN on Linux, except what is provided by EMC
> > (http://www.dell.com/emc). Unfortunately, this excludes PV650, PV660,
> > PV530, PV224, etc...
>
> hmm.  is dell ever going to have an official san product ?  i was hearing
> things about Dell San 4.0 for linux.. which didn't come out.  then 5.0
> (which hasn't come out?).

Trust me, we wonder about SAN 5.0 every day, just like you. :-)

> i'm looking into an upgrade from our 650 to the 4500 or maybe a 4700FC
> (a 4700IP might be an option except i then assume i have to restore all

Sounds like this is your best option right now, considering what you want
to do.

> the data onto it, rather than just migrate luns.. since it would use
> its native filesystem).

Dell|EMC supports these boxes under Linux right now, for certain versions.
Red Hat 7.0 is supported, RH 7.1 & 7.2 will be supported soon. You still
need a windows management station for Navisphere, but that will go away
sometime in the next few months.

> however the > US$50,000 costs in doing this mean it's not likely to happen
> in the near future.

Yes, it is expensive. But it is pretty thoroughly tested.

> i realise i can't literally mount the same luns read/write and read only
> on different machines due to filesystem caching issues - but i was hoping
> SANergy or some other piece of software was now available for linux to
> address this without..

You can get SANergy for Linux. Not that you would want to use it. I
haven't heard anybody (who has used it) say nice things about it. When
people keep telling me it loses data sometimes, I get nervous. But then
again, it may have improved in the newer versions.

--
Michael Brown
Linux Solutions