questions on tuning PE for linux and SAN on linux..

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Mon Mar 25 02:53:00 CST 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> Michael E Brown wrote:
>
> > Sounds like you want GFS: http://www.sistina.com/gfs. It is a commercial
> > product that you will have to pay for if you want. There is an open source
> > version: http://www.opengfs.org/ if you want to investigate.
>
> GFS is too crappy to be worth any money. Trust me; we tried to fix it in
> OpenGFS
> but the entire design is just beyond hope.

so what are people doing for SAN under linux apart from GFS ?

i can imagine it's not that difficult when you want to just use a SAN to provide
a central disk store to a bunch of different servers (zone/lun masking in the
switch?) but what happens when you want "real" redundancy and want to connect
the same luns to multiple linux boxes ?

i am trying to look at linux/san to get some higher redundancy (by decoupling
storage away from the OS) and better throughput (fibrechannel/raid), without
going all the way down the "we have a mission critical database/whatever" track.

regards,

-jason