questions on tuning PE for linux and SAN on linux..

Michael E Brown michael_e_brown at dell.com
Mon Mar 25 00:33:00 CST 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, jason andrade wrote:

> also, has anyone deployed a SAN environment under linux ?  i am

There are a few of them out there :-)  Dell doesn't have any official
support for SAN on Linux, except what is provided by EMC
(http://www.dell.com/emc). Unfortunately, this excludes PV650, PV660,
PV530, PV224, etc...

> contemplating an upgrade by putting in a 51F switch and connecting
> the storage directly to the "server" (needs read write) and "clients"
> (needs read only).

> i haven't seen a lot of documentation on this,

You haven't seen a lot of documentation because this is a terribly bad
thing to do.

> particularly on being able to mount luns as read only  that are
> being dynamically modified on another server..

Don't do this. Seriously. Whenever we get ht://dig fixed again, you can
search here: http://lists.us.dell.com/htdig/ for more info. Searching for
'ext2', 'corrupt{ion|ed}', and 'megaraid' should bring back the relevant
results, but I won't know until it is fixed :-)

> advice/suggestions eagerly sought..

Sounds like you want GFS: http://www.sistina.com/gfs. It is a commercial
product that you will have to pay for if you want. There is an open source
version: http://www.opengfs.org/ if you want to investigate.

--
Michael Brown
Linux Solutions