PE1650 and PERC 3/DC problem

Ed Martin ed.martin at iop.org
Thu Mar 21 12:15:01 CST 2002

Hi,

I recently tried to order a PE1650 and have hit a problem.  I wish to use internal disks with a PERC 3/DC, but have been told this cannot be done on this model!  Has anyone else had this problem?

We run a number of Power Edge servers (1550, 2450, 2550, 6450) with Linux and are generally very happy with them.  As we wanted hardware RAID we standardized on the add-in AMI PERC 3/DC cards because:
a)  They were common across the 1X5X, 2X5X and 6X5X series
b)  They seem to work better with Linux generally:
  AMI megaraid driver stable in the stock RH kernel, dellmgr utility better than afacli IMHO, etc
c)  They appear to suffer less performance issues with Linux than the adaptec, 3/Di, aacraid embedded controllers

I know that it's cheaper to enable the embedded adaptec controller on the 2450/2550, but I still don't want to do this.  Especially given the number of problems that the aacraid driver appears to have had recently.

When I specified the 1650 online everything appeared to be normal.  I selected the PERC3/DC as my RAID controller as I have for other models we have purchased.  However my Dell server consultant has now informed me that on the 1650 the PERC3/DC can only be used with external disks.  :-(

Can anyone from Dell confirm or comment on this situation?
Is this likely to happen on future models?  E.g. Whatever Dell replace the 2550 with?
I am not very impressed that I seem to have the choice of embedded RAID or nothing.  This may rule the model out for me, which is a shame as otherwise it looks very promising indeed!

Yours,

Ed

---
Ed Martin
Head of Systems Technology and Support
IOP Publishing Ltd
Dirac House, Temple Back
Bristol  BS1 6BE
ddi: +44 (0)117 930 1102
www:  http://www.iop.org

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England

This e-mail message has been checked by MIMEsweeper using
F-Secure Anti-Virus for the presence of computer viruses.