Dell server performance

Dirk Wetter dirkw at rentec.com
Wed Mar 20 18:28:01 CST 2002

<offtopic>

nobody from the major vendors supplies desktops or laptops without
microsux anymore, also other companies which claim to either "embrace"
or "fully support Linux". so unless you don't wanna go through the
more or less promising hassle requesting a refund, you'll end up
paying the m$ tax, which aggrevates i guess not only me. there's
really something wrong in this world and i hope the new trials will
straighten that finally out.

oh, and btw: some laptops (don't know about recent desktops) are
legacy free: no isa+parallel (well... ok), no serial, and no bios
accessible by pressing a key upon bootup. the future might be that you
have to boot XP in order to change hw settings and resolve conflicts.
unless the hw vendors provide api's for the open source community...

</offtopic>

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Hubbard, David wrote:

> I think the article was accurate, it failed to
> mention that the specific Dell models in question
> were laptops and desktops.  Dell doesn't want
> to deal with linux on those for some reason,
> maybe they're using the money saved to keep
> making those stupid TV commercials...

ther was yesterday already one article:

> Obviously, we're still here, and doing quite well, thank you.  (See
> signature).
> Just don't tell Microsoft. :-)
> -Matt
>
> --