Dell server performance

Hubbard, David dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Tue Mar 19 10:56:01 CST 2002

No, no solution has been found other than to
use a Dell PERC 3/QC which was recently
reported on this list has having very good
performance, it costs about $2000 I think.
The person who posted said it's based on a
different chip than the i960.  You could
also use another vendor's raid controller
and hook it to the backplane.  The standard
PERC's stink.

I notice that Dell doesn't quote any linux
benchmarks on their web site when bragging
about their PowerEdge performance, no secret
why that is...  Not that Microsoft Exchange
and cpu-only benchmarks aren't incredibly
useful... :-)

If you need superior performance and can
tolerate it, software raid is an option.

David